Every other site out there has game recaps, so I’ve decided to do something a little bit different. Here’s a list of things that I thought were notable this weekend.
1. They had the umpires mic’d up during both games this weekend. It’s FASCINATING. They spend a fair bit of time going over penalties with the players. Some of them sing (for the guy sitting next to me who wondered why I was giggling helplessly and wanted to get away from the crazy woman, I’m sorry. In my defense, hearing Steve de Witt unconsciously singing along to the Hockey Song is HILARIOUS). Again, I would say that the $10 for the game radio to get the commentary is some of the best money I’ve ever spent.
Pro Tip: if your radio runs out of batteries, head out of the Icehouse and turn right. Take the first left and go to the cheap housewares shop there. They have batteries that will fit the radio.
2. Calling it a fight between Wilson and Greer is overstating things. Wilson made a check on Oddy, Greer didn’t like it and jumped him. Wilson didn’t get a chance to get his gloves off and didn’t get a punch in. Which is what led to Greer being ejected from the game and Wilson not being penalised. You could actually hear the refs talking about whether Wilson had gotten a punch in as they determined penalties. Really interesting.
3. I was wrong about Delsar! He only got one penalty at the end and didn’t seem particularly angry. I was actually looking forward to seeing Rezek and wonder at Adelaide’s choice not to bring him as he’s a major goal-scoring force for them and goals were in short supply. I hope he’s not injured.
4. Speaking of injuries, Matt Korthuis’s shoulder is almost better! He said at the pregame talk on Sunday that he was hoping to come back this week against the Gold Coast. I’ve really enjoyed watching Korthuis play, so here’s hoping he gets better soon.
5. Phillips got to start in both games this weekend! Apart from one goal where he did an overhead glove save and then put the puck back down behind him into his own net, he was really good. He faced 20 shots on goal from the second and 21 shots from the first. His SV% is still sitting at 0.906. PHILLIPS IS AWESOME.
6. Matt Armstrong seriously impressed me this weekend. Previously I’d thought he was strong on his skates and a trap-buster and watching people try to hit him and then fall over was hilarious. But his goals this weekend were absolutely incredible. In the first game, he got four assists and two unassisted goals. The goals were pure poetry to watch. Breakaways when we were at even strength–he just had an extra level of speed and got over the line and then got the puck in. It was beautiful. He also got two goals in the second game, one power play goal and one even strength goal.
7. Our first power play unit is amazing. Particularly, Army, Wilson and Baclig seem to be able to read each other very well and have infinite patience and quick reflexes. Supporting a team who scores power play goals is STILL NOVEL to me!
8. Wilson’s goal in the second game was great. He got put in the penalty box for a (really blatant) high-stick, and on his way out of the box just grabbed the puck and FLEW down to the other end. It was a gorgeous goal and he looked so happy afterwards!
9. Adelaide lacked cohesion in their defensive strategy for a lot of both games. Also, they didn’t seem to be able to adapt–their only method of getting the puck over the blue line was to dump-and-chase. That doesn’t work if the other team is both faster and stronger in board battles, but they didn’t seem to be able to adjust.
10. Also, differences in home rinks really were highlighted here. Adelaide’s rinks have boards that are too high for line changes except at stoppage of play. Their line changes weren’t as smooth as they could have been, which I guess makes sense if they don’t get an opportunity to practice it.
All in all, it was a weekend of hockey that made me grin like a loon. Here’s to many more like it! Unfortunately, I’m going to miss the games at the weekend. No Goldcoast for me! So it’ll be three weeks until I get to watch another game. Oh well, lucky the Stanley Cup Finals started today. GO KINGS!